Suunto app Forum Suunto Community Forum
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    It's 2024 - Anyone Still Training Only With An Ambit?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Ambit
    41 Posts 22 Posters 11.0k Views 22 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • flucaF Offline
      fluca Silver Members
      last edited by

      I am usino my A3P as a backup device during mountain activity.
      From time to time I am also wearing it on a daily basis, just because I like better the unique look of it.
      A suunto designed like an A3P and the capability of a SV or Ocean I would buy by all means

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • sky-runnerS Online
        sky-runner Platinum Member @overgrowntrail
        last edited by

        @overgrowntrail said in It's 2024 - Anyone Still Training Only With An Ambit?:

        Do Fenix 7X and Race S share the functions of the A3P?

        Yes, of course. Functions of A3P are basic compared to modern watches and the battery life of A3P is quite short - only 20 hours in GPS mode with one second refresh. For comparison, Race S should do 50 hours in the same configuration.

        But I must say I liked presence of dedicated View button on Ambit and used it often as an additional shortcut button and to switch between different map modes, and to rotate the bottom data field as well. Ambit had a dedicated waypoint screen, which was easy to switch to and see details about upcoming waypoint. That is lost in current Suunto watches.

        Suunto: Ambit, Ambit 3 Peak, 9 Baro, Race S, Race Ti, Vertical 2 Ti
        Garmin: Forerunner 210, Forerunner 610, Fenix 6X, Fenix 7X Ti

        O 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
        • A Offline
          ademgassymov @Tieutieu
          last edited by

          @Tieutieu
          Thanks for clarifying. Looks like the issue is in temperature sensor. Today during a hike watch had correct altitude data until I stopped the trekking exercise and had some ice climbing- then I noticed that temperature was not indicated and altitude was growing higher and higher. On my way back I launched trekking again expecting it to switch to gps altitude mode but it didn’t help - altitude was not indicating but ascent went up to 22000 meters. Now sitting at home looking at my watch I see temperature showing minus 15c while of course it’s 20+.
          I’ll switch exercises to altimeter mode, turn off storm alarm and this looks like an end to barometer usage in this watch.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • O Offline
            overgrowntrail @sky-runner
            last edited by overgrowntrail

            @sky-runner
            Interesting, because when I had to decide what model to choose, not all models were covering the sports I was looking for. A3P was the only one back then.

            Very practical is the ability to store waypoints without the need to unlock the buttons first. And, even if the charging cable is historical, it is immune to water and dirt (unlike USB-whatever). Battery life could be longer, but learned to arrange with 20-30 h.

            Technology moved on. Good that more is doable now, but do I need all those new bells and whistles? Eeeh, no. But I understand that the enormous price tag has to be defended somehow.

            sky-runnerS 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • W Offline
              wakarimasen Gold Members
              last edited by wakarimasen

              2025 shout out for the Ambit 3 Peak. Mine is still going strong, even if I mostly use a Race. Thinking of picking up an Ambit 3 Vertical, just for retro-fun. Happy Christmas all!

              Suunto Race Titanium
              Suunto Ambit3 Peak
              Polar H10
              Polar OH1

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
              • P Offline
                Pierre 0
                last edited by

                Still using an Ambit2 for ski activities. Simplicity and robustness.
                I don’t run anymore with it, a 9PP is much better for everything now but I think of using again the Ambit in 2026 for ski.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • sky-runnerS Online
                  sky-runner Platinum Member @overgrowntrail
                  last edited by sky-runner

                  @overgrowntrail said in It's 2024 - Anyone Still Training Only With An Ambit?:

                  Battery life could be longer, but learned to arrange with 20-30 h.

                  I would strongly advise against using the extended 30h battery mode on Ambit. It simply doesn’t work as it should be, and I doubt that Suunto has ever fixed it.

                  10 years ago I used this 30h mode during my first 100 mile ultramarathon (which was the famous Western States). For a few hours the extended battery mode worked OK, although the distance accuracy was less than perfect. But during the run something has happened and the watch started being increasingly less accurate at measuring distance, and by the end it was consistently doubling the distance - adding 0.01 mile (16 meters) for every 10 steps that I walked when I took walk breaks and looked at the watch. After the race I had an exchange with Suunto support. From that it seemed that over the course of the race the amount of GPS errors accumulated and it switched to measuring distance from the accelerometer, but continued to also measure distance from GPS and adding both distances together, hence doubling the distance. Also, it didn’t even last 30 hours and the battery died at 25-26 hours.
                  So Ambit 3 Peak wasn’t flawless by any means!

                  Also, at the time Ambit 3 Peak had a similar issue with double counting distance in tunnels - you’d go into a tunnel and it would switch to accelerometer based distance, but upon exiting the tunnel, once it regained GPS, it would add GPS distance too. I observed this when running Seattle Marathon. I wonder if this has been fixed in modern Suunto watches? I haven’t had a chance to test that.

                  Also, comparing distance measured by Ambit 3 Peak at the highest accuracy vs modern Suunto or Garmin watches, when running on trails in Pacific Northwest of USA, A3P distance was consistently short by 3-7%. Despite its large antenna, it wasn’t as accurate as people think. It was more accurate than most watches at the time a decade ago, but compared to modern watches with dual-frequency GNSS, A3P accuracy is mediocre.

                  Suunto: Ambit, Ambit 3 Peak, 9 Baro, Race S, Race Ti, Vertical 2 Ti
                  Garmin: Forerunner 210, Forerunner 610, Fenix 6X, Fenix 7X Ti

                  W 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                  • W Offline
                    wakarimasen Gold Members @sky-runner
                    last edited by

                    @sky-runner said in It's 2024 - Anyone Still Training Only With An Ambit?:

                    It was more accurate than most watches at the time a decade ago, but compared to modern watches with dual-frequency GNSS, A3P accuracy is mediocre.

                    Can’t disagree, but I still like them 😉

                    Suunto Race Titanium
                    Suunto Ambit3 Peak
                    Polar H10
                    Polar OH1

                    André FariaA 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • André FariaA Offline
                      André Faria @wakarimasen
                      last edited by André Faria

                      It’s 2026 and I start “training” with an Ambit 3 Peak.
                      As some of you may have seen I started vibe codding an app for these watches, and recoverd the workout feature that we had in movescount .

                      So last weeks I start doing the couch to 5k running workout with it. Really a pleasure for me, simple, no frills, some beeps and let’s go.If it would vibrate would be perfect for my use

                      Plan to also start swimming, and from my testings apparently it will be possible to also follow swimming workouts with the Ambit 3 (I believe it was not possible before).

                      If anyone is still training with the ambit, and wants to test the app or a certain type of workout let me know.
                      My main sport is cyclind and for that I use a cycling computer, so real workout testing with the ambit may be slow on my side.

                      And yeah I agree with @sky-runner, accuracy for today’s standards is not top notch, but for my use it is enough.

                      Ambit 3 Peak Sapphire | Kailash | Hammerhead Karoo 3
                      Garmin Edge 1040 Solar

                      thanasisT 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                      • thanasisT Do not disturb
                        thanasis Bronze Member @André Faria
                        last edited by

                        @André-Faria accuracy in terms of elevation seems still better though than most . GPS , is indeed not as modern watches provide

                        André FariaA 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                        • André FariaA Offline
                          André Faria @thanasis
                          last edited by

                          @thanasis I can’t tell you that, I live in a flat area ahhaa

                          Ambit 3 Peak Sapphire | Kailash | Hammerhead Karoo 3
                          Garmin Edge 1040 Solar

                          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                          Register Login
                          • First post
                            Last post

                          Suunto Terms | Privacy Policy