Run 2
-
i want the Run2 software on my Vertical2! Why on earth do Suunto use 2 different OS?? seems so stupid to me

-
@Kristin-Jensen and I want the V2 UI in my Run.
I am not really getting used to scroll the wheel between screens during activity.
Also I donāt like the widgets to appear when scrolling in both directions from the watch face. -
Anyone noticed? Baro and FusedAlti Gone. Only GPS Altitude measurement?

-
Anyone noticed? Baro and FusedAlti Gone. Only GPS Altitude measurement?

has been discussed above. This comparison data is not complete. Run2 has a barometric altitude sensor and then of course is also using FusedAlti
-
@Egika Thanks! Thatās good. And I also think the 35g weight is with a nylon band, not the silicone bandā¦
-
@Egika Thanks! Thatās good. And I also think the 35g weight is with a nylon band, not the silicone bandā¦
I think this it without bandā¦

-
@Egika maybe this gets also updated⦠And available with nylonā¦

-
So the Run 2 would be more comfortable for running in the park, joining run clubs, and wearing to sleep. and the V2 for actual races.
-
@suuntastic Cleary stated on the website, 35g is only the watch without any straps.
-
So the Run 2 would be more comfortable for running in the park, joining run clubs, and wearing to sleep
A friend of mine did the OCC with the Run
-
@snow superb!!!
-
@TrailEyes Thereās a video out from DaveDoesFitness that also may be a bit confused on the 4GB / 64GB differences.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zjgS1ZaShC4&pp=ugUHEgVlbi1VUw%3D%3D
From about 2:50 into the video, Iāll attempt a transcription:
āSuunto Run 2 now comes with maps on the higher storage option. So, thatās right, weāre getting two versions here. The Suunto Run 2 retails at $349 and that gets you the 4 gig version. Or $399 gets you the 64 gig version, which is where all your offline maps and music will be living.ā
Does not quite say āno maps on 4GBā directly, and didnāt see a āSuunto told meā comment (no oneās really commented yet), but this makes the third reviewer who either jumped to conclusions or filmed working with wrong or outdated info.
On the other hand, a video by Quantified Scientist gets things right, noting the two storage options and correctly states both can receive offline maps.
So either several people made the same assumption/mistake, or was given poor info from their Suunto rep (who easily could also have been mistaken, rather than a last minute spec change). Iād say in either way, thatās a bit on Suunto for not ensuring the proper info was out there for everyone.
-
Iād say in either way, thatās a bit on Suunto for not ensuring the proper info was out there for everyone.
Good pull on that video. Iāve been trying to dance around something thatās in the back of mind with all this, but itās likely less about poor Suunto communication and probably more about poor communication from their U.S.-side PR agency. I certainly could be wrong about that, but Iāve been burned with false information before from the new agency that took over in 2025 and just had some friction with them in general.
As a journalist, I mostly wish that the reviewers, when presented with the new information about the functionality of the 4gb version, would acknowledge it. Their responses have felt too dodgy.
-
As a journalist, I mostly wish that the reviewers, when presented with the new information about the functionality of the 4gb version, would acknowledge it. Their responses have felt too dodgy.
On the other hand, as a journalist, do you think itās common to simply ālieā and say Suunto representative told them something if that never happened? Seems to me the Suunto person being references could easily show up, say āI never told you that,ā and call them out for a blatant lie.
So I think from a simplicity point of view, ānever ascribed to malice what can be explained by incompetence,ā the answer here is not that reviewers are lying about things but instead there was miscommunication. Whether that originated from the Suunto rep who spoke to the reviewers, or the reviewers themselves mistranslated, I have no idea. The reason Iād personally put more āblameā on a Suunto rep (or a US representative acting on their behalf, sure) is thatās their main job to work with these people. Meanwhile, Des, Ray, Chase the Summit, etc are also reviewing Coros, Apple, Garmin, etc. and juggling a lot more things. Sure, they should get things right too, but if and when they make an error, Iād expect them to say something like āah, I missed that,ā and not āsomeone told me the wrong thing.ā
Also, regarding the overall āconspiracy theory,ā I gave about a last minute change, while that might explain a Suunto rep giving āwrongā info, Iām not even sure I buy that either. Look at the people who, when told Coros was adding maps to their 4GB model, instantly went āthis is a response to the Suunto rumors, they decided to beat them to the punchā which I think is also a bit unlikely. I think feature sets and timelines are setup farther in advance, and making a change like this with a few days notice is unlikely. Instead, I expect both Coros and Suunto had āparallel development,ā both independently thinking it was a good idea to āpush maps downā as a competitive advantage over Garmin in particular.
On another note, Iāve noticed the Run 2 maps are like the Race S ones I have ā that is, not as detailed with lack of street names, etc. that you can get on higher models. I wonder if this is the start of a āthree tier systemā as weāve already had ābreadcrumbs vs. mapsā and now perhaps we will have ābreadcaps, basic maps, advanced maps.ā If so, I could see Garmin doing something like that on a 570 successor, marking a middle ground but keeping full maps on the ir 9xx line.
-
@raven I definitely donāt think at all that they lied about what the rep said ā as noted before, they never really said they were told the 4gb didnāt have maps, only that the 64gb did have maps.
But I also feel that acknowledging that an error was made, correcting it and even apologizing for it is actually a whole lot easier when you are apologizing on behalf of someone else and you werenāt truly at fault. I myself am guilty of getting defensive when an error Iāve made (Iāve been a journalist for 25+ years) was because of my oversight or misunderstanding of a topic ā itās easy to feel dumb about that kind of thing and fear your credibility has been shaken. But if the error was rooted in a source/contact or in someone who works under me, then thatās super easy to smooth things over with the complainer and acknowledge where the error happened, state the correction and affirm doing better moving forward.
Iām sure you and I may see the responses from the reviewers (and the situation as a whole) just a bit differently, and thatās fine. Thatās kind of tricky part with texting and comment sections and things like that ā tone is so hard to convey when itās just a one- or two-line response to something. Maybe Iām reading more into those responses than I should. Maybe Suuntoās PR agency is looking at this thread and wondering why Iām dogging on them

I do agree that those reviewers are juggling a zillion different products and operating systems, so itās impossible to keep it all straight. I commend them for that! I kind of like when Iāve done reviews and could be a bit more niche and not spread myself too thin. For example, Iāve done a lot of trail running shoe reviews, but I really specialized on the rare brands in the North America market. Youāll never see me reviewing Hoka or Saucony or Brooks, but Iām more than happy to put on the miles in Rossignol, Helly Hansen, Dynafit, and Arcāteryx. I liked being able to focus on the subset.
-
Also, regarding the overall āconspiracy theory,ā I gave about a last minute change, while that might explain a Suunto rep giving āwrongā info, Iām not even sure I buy that either. Look at the people who, when told Coros was adding maps to their 4GB model, instantly went āthis is a response to the Suunto rumors, they decided to beat them to the punchā which I think is also a bit unlikely. I think feature sets and timelines are setup farther in advance, and making a change like this with a few days notice is unlikely. Instead, I expect both Coros and Suunto had āparallel development,ā both independently thinking it was a good idea to āpush maps downā as a competitive advantage over Garmin in particular.
There was Suunto media event for journalists during UTMB week. I suppose that is when Suunto initially revealed Run 2. This makes me think that the 4GB version initially wasnāt supposed to have maps and that is what journalists were told, and then Suunto changed that in the last moment in response to Coros update making maps available on entry level Pace watches. Changing the restriction in software would be trivial. But again, that is just my speculation.
On another note, Iāve noticed the Run 2 maps are like the Race S ones I have ā that is, not as detailed with lack of street names, etc. that you can get on higher models.
As someone who tried to use labels on Vertical 2, I think having labels on a smaller 1.32 inch wouldnāt be useful anyway because of how small and difficult to read the font is. Based on poll that I ran on Reddit, the majority of responders had difficulties reading labels even on 1.5 inch R2 and V2 displays. Personally, I canāt read labels on V2 even though Iāve never had difficulties with that when using Fenix 6X/7X devices. I think Suunto needs to improve label rendering before making it more widely available; otherwise it would do more harm than benefit - more opportunity for reviewers to criticize it. Besides, it is possible that the OS v3.0 running on Run 2 simply doesnāt have label rendering code yet. I am pretty sure that downloaded maps have labels regardless of what device you download maps for, so restricting that on device makes little sense, but who knows!
-
Also, regarding the overall āconspiracy theory,ā I gave about a last minute change, while that might explain a Suunto rep giving āwrongā info, Iām not even sure I buy that either. Look at the people who, when told Coros was adding maps to their 4GB model, instantly went āthis is a response to the Suunto rumors, they decided to beat them to the punchā which I think is also a bit unlikely. I think feature sets and timelines are setup farther in advance, and making a change like this with a few days notice is unlikely. Instead, I expect both Coros and Suunto had āparallel development,ā both independently thinking it was a good idea to āpush maps downā as a competitive advantage over Garmin in particular.
There was Suunto media event for journalists during UTMB week. I suppose that is when Suunto initially revealed Run 2. This makes me think that the 4GB version initially wasnāt supposed to have maps and that is what journalists were told, and then Suunto changed that in the last moment in response to Coros update making maps available on entry level Pace watches. Changing the restriction in software would be trivial. But again, that is just my speculation.
Yes, thatās a good summary of the situation I was postulating. I just donāt know if ātrivialā is correct as a way to describe things simply due to not having experience in this particular realm, but having some experience QA testing hardware in other contexts, where thereās quite a bit of ridgity on when certain changes are allowed. It may have been easier here given the 64BG existed and had the feature.
But again this is just minorly amusing inside baseball. If it turns out Coros only added maps to their model in response to knowing what Suunto was doing and then Suunto also altering plans due to Coros, thatās all fun in a spy vs. spy way but a couple months from now thereās going to be people deciding what to get and if they are comparing these two models itāll be based on what they had now and not what was originally planned in development.
As for the āthree tiers of mapsā thing, thatās just my mind wandering and thinking how Garmin in particular, if they notice a threat from other companies providing maps at lower price points, might try to address it while still keeping the most premium experience on 9xx and Fenix.
-
@sky-runner Itās weird, and just Suunto knows. Then itās a little hard to believe that Vertical 1 is really having such problems with the newer SW and that itās not just a pressure tactic to get people to buy new devices :)))))
-
@martintrail this is a conspiracy - not more
-
@Egika yeah, it was supposed to be a bit of a joke

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better š
Register Login