Suunto app Forum Suunto Community Forum
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Instable watch software / picky charging

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Suunto Race S
    9 Posts 3 Posters 583 Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • 2 Offline
      2b2bff Gold Members
      last edited by

      I have been on holiday for the last 12 days or so. I had my Race S and its charger with me. As it is USB-A I only had one wall plug for this from a no name company.

      So, I put the watch on the charger, the USB-A in the wall plug, and: nothing. Watch didn’t even start to charge.
      I had an older power bank (Intenso) with my, and as I recharged it, I tried to use its USB-A port to charge the watch: Worked.

      So, it worked twice and I thought, that this will bring me over the holidays.
      The next time I put it on the charger, the watch started to charge before completely rebooting into the the “Watch is being restored into a save state” screen. No idea, what went wrong. Maybe because this time I didn’t charge the Power Bank at the same time?

      After 15 minutes and several forced restarts the watch eventually restored in whatever state. I tried a final time on an older iPad wall plug my doughter happened to have around. Rebooted at once and back to the restore a save state screen.

      So, I didn’t try to charge again. Next day the watch decided to stop calculating resources for several hours, HR has been recorded, though.
      In the night I woke up to some noise and looked at the watch. Couldn’t really fall asleep, looked again and suddenly the bedroom was lit and the watch restarted again. This time not into a save state, just regular restart. Out of nowhere.

      I know the watch is a bit picky about its chargers. But I don’t know how to trust this watch software.

      Another anectode: About a week ago we did a bike ride. I paused the activity and let the watch in this state. A thing I did a lot of times, but this time, as I wanted to continue the activity there is no paused activity. Watch restarted…

      Lightwight programming is making the watch feel fluid, but there seem to be several safety nets missing… Such a pity… 😞

      Suunto Race S
      Garmin Epix Pro

      André FariaA 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • André FariaA Offline
        André Faria @2b2bff
        last edited by

        @2b2bff maybe some deffect with your unit? I also have a race s, and either with usb a or aliexpress usb c charger it charges ok, both on pc and wall charger.
        It has been stable so far

        Ambit 3 Peak Sapphire | Kailash | Hammerhead Karoo 3
        Garmin Edge 1040 Solar

        2 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
        • 2 Offline
          2b2bff Gold Members @André Faria
          last edited by

          @André-Faria then this defect must have been developed over the last two weeks…
          But yeah, not impossible.

          I have this watch for about 18 months and it did already restart three times over that period. Something that is almost acceptable, although it has been once in the middle of a race…

          Suunto Race S
          Garmin Epix Pro

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • 2 2b2bff referenced this topic
          • 2 Offline
            2b2bff Gold Members
            last edited by

            Just for the records: after the holiday my watch has been charged on a Mac mini USB port exclusively - same as before - and never had any issues again. So, I doubt any defect…

            Suunto Race S
            Garmin Epix Pro

            André FariaA 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • André FariaA Offline
              André Faria @2b2bff
              last edited by

              @2b2bff said:

              Just for the records: after the holiday my watch has been charged on a Mac mini USB port exclusively - same as before - and never had any issues again. So, I doubt any defect…

              Or an intermittent one…

              Ambit 3 Peak Sapphire | Kailash | Hammerhead Karoo 3
              Garmin Edge 1040 Solar

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • M Offline
                MarTej_cz
                last edited by

                @2b2bff I would check the adapter voltage. 1000004714.jpg

                2 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • 2 Offline
                  2b2bff Gold Members @MarTej_cz
                  last edited by

                  @MarTej_cz I think I experienced the shut off behavior of the power bank as the charge of the watch approached 90%. However the iPad charger is a wall plug with USB A, powerful enough to charge an iPad. It has been the only USB-A charger I had with me that time. Output shouldn’t be an issue…

                  The real problem is that the software in the watch freaked out big time.

                  Will try different chargers that I have laying around as the next holiday is soon…

                  Suunto Race S
                  Garmin Epix Pro

                  M André FariaA 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    MarTej_cz @2b2bff
                    last edited by

                    @2b2bff The charging wire has protection, it may be damaged.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • André FariaA Offline
                      André Faria @2b2bff
                      last edited by

                      @2b2bff said:

                      @MarTej_cz I think I experienced the shut off behavior of the power bank as the charge of the watch approached 90%. However the iPad charger is a wall plug with USB A, powerful enough to charge an iPad. It has been the only USB-A charger I had with me that time. Output shouldn’t be an issue…

                      The real problem is that the software in the watch freaked out big time.

                      Will try different chargers that I have laying around as the next holiday is soon…

                      Check the amps and type of charger.
                      I think it may be too powerful…on small devices and old devices (not the case here) I always prefer to have slow old chargers between 0.5A and 1A max.
                      I had a race S, charged with 1A charger till 100% and no issues, latest firmware

                      Ambit 3 Peak Sapphire | Kailash | Hammerhead Karoo 3
                      Garmin Edge 1040 Solar

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                      Register Login
                      • First post
                        Last post

                      Suunto Terms | Privacy Policy