Suunto Run vs Garmin Forerunner 165
-
@metrodraft Some random thoughts on your comments. First, “steps” isn’t a great metric to track, and Run being lower than 165 doesn’t mean Run is “wrong,” as 165 could easily have been overcounting. If you want accurate steps you need either a footpod or a pedometer like on your belt, not a device on one of your arms. Personally, I ignore steps altogether; if you wish to track it then accept no one device is likely to be fully accurate and instead you’re looking for trends within the device itself. So you need to “start over” with the Run compared to 165 it seems.
I have no idea why people wear devices in the shower. I always take off devices so I can wash the skin which is in contact with the device all day. So locking a screen for shower makes no sense to me as well.
Interesting comment about the metrics of the 165. Curiously, are you tracking CTL-ATL-TSB with the Suunto? Some people find this system a bit difficult to get into, but it’s far better than tracking steps, and I hope this gives you actionable metrics where perhaps the 165 didn’t.
-
I have no idea why people wear devices in the shower
I run almost every day. I wear my watch in the shower to keep the watch and the strap clean. I relax the strap before going into the shower to let the soapy water on between the watch and the skin - no skin irritation ever.
The one thing that is super annoying is that the watch always does “things” while I am in the shower - changes settings, sets up alarms that go off in the middle of the night, etc.
If there was an option to not activate touch until a button is pressed, I’d gladly use that!
-
@sky-runner at least on the race s is there,down button and it will lock the screen
-
@sky-runner at least on the race s is there,down button and it will lock the screen
If you mean button shortcuts, I already use them for other functions - one for the flashlight and another for the “Find my phone” function that I use often. Locking the screen via the control panel requires a lot of steps.
As I said, not activating the touch until one of the buttons is pressed would be a perfectly usable solution. Another solution would be a touch unlock by swiping the screen similar to what Garmin has. When under rain or shower, a natural droplet movement direction across the screen is either right to left (this is how the watch enters control panel) or left to right, or bottom to top. Garmin requires top to bottom swipe to unlock the touch which doesn’t occur naturally when droplets hit the screen.
-
@sky-runner I actually use the lower shortcut button to lock the screen. Just on press. It’s easy to turn on while walking into the shower.
-
@raven I do look at CTL although it’s something I really pay attention to much. That’s like the Recovery metric. I know when need rest and when I don’t a lot more than a watch.
I will admit that I’m 62 and have run a lot more without a GPS watch than with one. They are really cool but I know my body better than anyone. I usually run about 5 days a week and know when to go hard and when to go easy.
Concerning the Steps, the Run actually is off by quite a bit at times. Just last night I ended up getting up to go the bathroom. That’s about 40 steps. In the morning the watch showed 12. For just walking around it’s perfect. It’s the times just walking a few steps around my kitchen or office where it misses alot.
-
@sky-runner I totally agree. With my 165 I had actually started runs while in the shower.
Just change one of your shortcut buttons to lock the screen. It makes it easy. -
Regarding the shower, I suppose part of my attitude involve the fact I dual record with the Apple Watch. So my habit is to remove both watches after my session, then both get placed either on a charger (Apple) or next to the charger (Suunto) some days, on the charger roughly every fourth day.
Apple’s watch bands are super easy to switch, so I take off one band and put on a second one to wash the one that got sweaty. For the Suunto, as it’s the Courtney silicone band, I find a quick rinse/wash is sufficient. This way I don’t need to fumble with them in the shower, and to me it seems loosening the band while showering to do this cleaning would be too weird. The only time I’d consider “shower watch cleaning” I suppose would be if I did my workout at a gym and didn’t want to risk leaving the watch in a locker while showering, but even then I’d have other valuables like my phone and clothes in the locker and I’d of course actually lock it up.
Typically I hear of people wearing fitness devices in the shower in cases like Whoop strap, which has a charging system such that you can charge the strap while still wearing it, so continuous tracking 24/7, and to me even as a data geek that’s a bit too obsessive. I’m fine having a short “break” in my recording metrics while I transition out of workout mode and into my regular daily mode. And those Whoop people, if really not wanting a break in metrics, likely are not doing the “loose strap to wash skin” technique (as they’d then lose data) which makes me feel a bit icky if I consider how long it may have been since their watches were properly clean. I don’t wear my running shorts, socks, and top to the shower to wash my clothes while washing my body, and I don’t see the need to wear my watch for that purpose either.
Anyway, for those who wish to shower with their watches, have fun, but if you’re having trouble with the screen activating when doing so, then consider the (what seems to me) simpler method of removing the watch, cleaning the band at your sink before you jump in the shower, then let it dry out while you attend to your own hygiene.
-
Regarding step counts, I still think for those who are highly focused on that, getting a waist-based model will likely give better overall accuracy that the majority of watches and is fairly inexpensive. Here’s a quick article to show the style I mean: https://www.verywellfit.com/best-pedometers-4159148
I know people who do activities like knitting or drumming that would get a lot of “accidental steps” if relying on any wrist based model. My own attitude is simpler — steps cannot tell me intensity of effort. The other day I did 5082 steps for one activity, which was a walking effort of 5km with average HR of 92bpm. Then another day I did another 5km effort doing track intervals (100m x 10) which was less steps 4461 but higher average HR of 154bpm. If I were only looking at steps, the second effort seems “weaker” which is the complete opposite result of my own analysis. Of course, the walking session was good for recovery, while the intervals was just a general intense workout.
And today we have thunderstorms outside, and while I’ll get a decent amount of steps just going through the house, my primary workout today will be a rowing session which technically is “zero steps,” and yesterday was an hour long cycling workout that also was “zero steps”. Now I know in the Polar ecosystem they have a feature where they can give you “step equivalents” for things like that, but I dislike that system.
-
I’ve owned the Suunto Run since day one, and here is my verdict:
- the GPS tracking is absolutely terrible, showing significant deviations from the actual road path and “cutting” corners; even in “track” mode (while staying in the same lane) the tracks are often way off
- the sleep sensor isn’t always reliable (it often fails to detect nighttime wake-ups or registers them when they didn’t happen), and the touchscreen is far too sensitive (activity recording would often start accidentally while I was showering);
- the interval training feature is intrusive: once programmed, it automatically becomes the default activity for “outdoor running,” so on a couple of occasions, I started what I thought was a standard run only to find the interval workout running instead;
- there are very few watch faces available, and most are ridiculous—some look like cheap knock-offs from old Amazfit models.
On the other hand, the Redmi 5 Active (which I’m using right now while waiting for my Garmin 165) offers noticeably better GPS tracking, decent metrics (not quite Suunto-level, but certainly better than expected for a smartwatch in this class), and a touchscreen that doesn’t trigger every time a drop of water hits it.
One thing I definitely rate highly on the Run is the heart rate sensor, really excellent.
-
, and a touchscreen that doesn’t trigger every time a drop of water hits it.
With my previous watch, a forerunner 965, showers caused all sort of side effects. Twice my alarm was turned off! Have to say, that’s 2 years ago and things might have changed. Although Garmin is more keen to add (useless/meaningless) data features than usability features in my experience.
I love the option on my race s to only show the time on the raise to awake event, keeping the touch disabled.
(For me, the better watch is not the one with the most features, but the one with the least annoyances)
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login