Suunto app Forum Suunto Community Forum
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Suunto Core 2 questions/advice before possible return

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Watches
    13 Posts 4 Posters 820 Views 4 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • A Offline
      Alpha Bronze Member @mikekoski490
      last edited by

      @mikekoski490
      I think I’ll go back to my Core Alpha as well. There are a few improvements, but more changes for the worse.
      The main one, which I’m describing in another discussion thread, is that the barometric pressure graph is still flat, even though the numerical pressure values show the actual readings. I’ve been working on this with Suunto support for two months now, but so far to no avail.
      I’m still hoping this will be fixed in the third software version. If not, I’ll return the Core 2. I haven’t noticed the issues you’re describing yet.
      Suunto clearly didn’t put much effort into the new version of its iconic Core watches. It’s sad.

      mikekoski490M 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 3
      • mikekoski490M Offline
        mikekoski490 Bronze Member @Alpha
        last edited by

        @Alpha Question: my sunrise/sunset times change every morning. So I have to pair the Core with the app each morning to get it to update to the correct times. This even though my location is set on the watch correctly.

        Does your Core 2 do the same thing?

        Past Suuntos: X-Lander/Observer/T6/X9/X10/X6HR/CORES/Ambits/Spartan/9P/9PP Ti/Vertical Ti

        Current: Suunto Race Ti

        Past other GPS watches: Polar Vantage V; Garmin 6X Pro Solar; Coros Vertix 2

        Suunto App running on Google Pixel 8/Android 14

        A 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
        • EgikaE Offline
          Egika Platinum Member
          last edited by

          I had my Core 2 sitting on my table for a couple of weeks now.
          Have just checked sunrise/sunset times.
          Watch says today: 07:34/18:42
          Internet says: 07:23/18:55

          So it is 11 to 13mins apart.
          While I don’t think that this makes a big difference in practice, I am reporting it.

          t6, S6, Elementum Terra, Ambit 3 Sapphire, Spartan Ultra Copper, Traverse Alpha, S7 Graphite LE, S9B Ambassador, S9P Titanium, S9PP Titanium, Vertical All Black, Race Titanium Charcoal, Race S Titanium Courtney, Run Lime, Race 2, Vertical 2 Titanium

          mikekoski490M 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
          • mikekoski490M Offline
            mikekoski490 Bronze Member @Egika
            last edited by

            @Egika Thanks. Just checked again this morning. Last night said sunset here 6:58pm (correct) Woke up and it said sunset 6:38pm (wrong) Synced with the app and it went back to 6:57pm (correct)

            So for some reason it’s changing overnight when not connected to the app?

            Past Suuntos: X-Lander/Observer/T6/X9/X10/X6HR/CORES/Ambits/Spartan/9P/9PP Ti/Vertical Ti

            Current: Suunto Race Ti

            Past other GPS watches: Polar Vantage V; Garmin 6X Pro Solar; Coros Vertix 2

            Suunto App running on Google Pixel 8/Android 14

            EgikaE 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • EgikaE Offline
              Egika Platinum Member @mikekoski490
              last edited by

              @mikekoski490 interesting.
              Can you share where you are based and which city you have set in the watch?

              t6, S6, Elementum Terra, Ambit 3 Sapphire, Spartan Ultra Copper, Traverse Alpha, S7 Graphite LE, S9B Ambassador, S9P Titanium, S9PP Titanium, Vertical All Black, Race Titanium Charcoal, Race S Titanium Courtney, Run Lime, Race 2, Vertical 2 Titanium

              mikekoski490M 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • mikekoski490M Offline
                mikekoski490 Bronze Member @Egika
                last edited by

                @Egika Vancouver BC Canada

                Past Suuntos: X-Lander/Observer/T6/X9/X10/X6HR/CORES/Ambits/Spartan/9P/9PP Ti/Vertical Ti

                Current: Suunto Race Ti

                Past other GPS watches: Polar Vantage V; Garmin 6X Pro Solar; Coros Vertix 2

                Suunto App running on Google Pixel 8/Android 14

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • A Offline
                  Alpha Bronze Member @mikekoski490
                  last edited by

                  @mikekoski490
                  Isn’t it the case that the watch sets sunrise and sunset times as approximate values (based on the selected city), but when it syncs via the app, the app uses the phone’s precise GPS location and sets the exact times for that location? Once it disconnects from the app (and the precise location), it reverts to the settings based on the city selected in the watch.

                  mikekoski490M 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                  • mikekoski490M Offline
                    mikekoski490 Bronze Member @Alpha
                    last edited by

                    @Alpha Yes, I think that is exactly what it is doing. Question then is why is the native on watch setting for sunset time, for example, about 20 minutes different from the gps/ app time for the same location?

                    Past Suuntos: X-Lander/Observer/T6/X9/X10/X6HR/CORES/Ambits/Spartan/9P/9PP Ti/Vertical Ti

                    Current: Suunto Race Ti

                    Past other GPS watches: Polar Vantage V; Garmin 6X Pro Solar; Coros Vertix 2

                    Suunto App running on Google Pixel 8/Android 14

                    A 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                    • A Offline
                      Alpha Bronze Member @mikekoski490
                      last edited by Alpha

                      @mikekoski490
                      If we’re talking about the time difference between specific geographic coordinates, then, for example, here (Czech Republic—Central Time Zone), the time difference per 100 km is about 5–6 minutes. I don’t know how it works where you are. So if the watch were set to Prague (central), and I were in Brno (about 190 km away), the app would shift the sunrise and sunset times east-west by about 11–12 minutes. I’m not sure how it works where you are. The farther north you go, the more minutes the actual sunrise and sunset times shift.
                      But of course, I don’t know if that’s the case or if the problem is with the watch.
                      What’s bothering me is that barometric pressure graph that stays flat!!! 🫤 And I’ve noticed it in practically every Core 2 review on YT.

                      mikekoski490M 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                      • mikekoski490M Offline
                        mikekoski490 Bronze Member @Alpha
                        last edited by mikekoski490

                        @Alpha Thanks. Yes, I think that’s accurate and again thanks for the info. I am actually north about 100km from the closest city listed in the Core 2 settings, so agree now that I dont think it’s a software glitch.

                        I guess the Bluetooth app connection is trying to fill in the gaps so Im ok with it.

                        I agree too the new baro graph is a bit underwhelming, but i sort of knew that before purchase so im ok with it. ‘Generally’ the baro graph is similar to other watches I have (…although flatter and less dramatic), but have to remember to lock in baro mode overnight.

                        If I could change anything, it would be:

                        1. Go back to the Core auto alti/baro switch. On the Core 2, I realize now I have to put it in the baro mode to lock it to get an accurate graph if Im not moving. Reminds me of my old Suunto Observer. I have to remember to switch out of baro mode before I go anywhere.

                        2. If Suunto can do a firmware update to improve the auto alti/baro lock, then the baro trend arrow would be able to be visible in the main time screen again, like on the original Core.

                        Past Suuntos: X-Lander/Observer/T6/X9/X10/X6HR/CORES/Ambits/Spartan/9P/9PP Ti/Vertical Ti

                        Current: Suunto Race Ti

                        Past other GPS watches: Polar Vantage V; Garmin 6X Pro Solar; Coros Vertix 2

                        Suunto App running on Google Pixel 8/Android 14

                        A 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                        • A Offline
                          Alpha Bronze Member @mikekoski490
                          last edited by

                          @mikekoski490
                          Well, if you’re north of the meridian, it shouldn’t make a difference—you’d have to be traveling east or west from the reference point (the city) for the time difference to take effect. If you were exactly north (along the meridian), there would be no time difference. So, on the map, you need to follow the meridian northward from the city set on your watch and, at your current location (on the parallel), measure the distance from that meridian to your position and use that to calculate the time difference.
                          In this regard, I swear by my favorite Suunto Traverse Alpha watch… with that one, I rarely have to correct the altimeter. Hopefully, we’ll see a more substantial software update for the Core 2 soon! Or I’ll just go back to wearing my good old Core Alpha.

                          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                          • g.tsafosG Offline
                            g.tsafos
                            last edited by

                            Yeap, my Core 2 also receives the pre-calculated (at least that’s my understanding) Sunrise-Sunset values when synced with the phone/app. The next day the values are off.

                            Suunto: Core 2, Vertical, Spark
                            Huawei: D2

                            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1

                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                            Register Login
                            • First post
                              Last post

                            Suunto Terms | Privacy Policy